The settlement is referred to as Vishin (in 1856), Fsin or Psin, and its residents as Sfnades in local dialect and community documentation from the 19th century. As a result, the feminine form of the name prevailed: Fisini, which was assigned to the word “fyso” (blow) via folk etymology, since “f’sa, sfniz”: as the area is exposed to strong winds.

Agios Alexandros was Lemnos’ patron saint during the Byzantine era, and his relics were held on the island until 1308. His body, however, was taken and carried to Venice during a pirate attack. The veneration of Agios Alexandros as the patron saint of Lemnos has waned since then.

St. Sofia

Since the establishment of municipalities and communities in 1918 (Government Decree 116 A),the St.Sofia has always been a part of the Fisini community. Composed of the villages of Skala, the neighbouring mediaeval castle, Skandali, and its residents that were known as Skaliotes.

There are ruins of mediaeval structures at two locations surrounding the settlement: Parthenomtos, west of the settlement, from which the residents fled and moved to Skandali, and Agiomarnos, east of the village, near the seaside, where ruins of residences as well as churches can be found.

The Paradisi hill (286 m.) that overlooks southeastern Lemnos is located on the outskirts of the settlement. On its slopes, fossilised tree trunks have been revealed, as well as meadows that are home to beehives, rabbits and pheasants. As a result, a major portion of it has been established as a hunting preserve.