In 1918, the settlement was initially established as a community under the name Kondias, which was later changed to Kontias in 1940, named after Kontea, a Byzantine landowner in the region. According to oral tradition, the settlement was originally near the sea, but was abandoned due to pirate raids. It is possible that the former location corresponds to Nevgati, which had a temple and a few residents. However, the most likely location is the port of Agios Giannis on the harbour of Kontias, where a wrecked fortress still stands. The earliest account of the settlement in its current position is from 1785.

Agios Ioannis Prodromos is the village’s oldest church. Despite its small size,  it is  built like a fortress, complete with battlements and cannons. It is thought to have been constructed in the 16th century. The church has historic icons and served as a museum in the 1970s.

The parish church of Agios Dimitrios, built in the basilica style with a covered exonarthex and monolithic columns with decorative capitals, was consecrated in 1867. It is an impressive church with its  large stone bell tower that was added later on. In 1938, the Nativity of Christ Church, which had originally belonged to the Lavra, was burned down and rebuilt.