Dafni

The original name of the village was Sverdia , which appears to be connected to the mediaeval term severgidia which means “many rods” (wicker). The name Severgidia relates to Mount Athos, as chrysobulls( imperial documents granting privileges bearing a gold seal) found in the nearby estate of Harakas support this assumption. Because Sverdia was deemed a bad-sounding and foreign name, the village was renamed Daphne in 1956, after a giant oleander that dominated the region. Conze visited the settlement in 1858 and labelled it Swerdia on his map. The priest pointed out to him an antique sculpture that was built into the wall of the little church of Agios Dimitrios, and he sketched it as well. This historic church is currently known as Agios Dimitrios Houchlou. The church of Agioi Anargyroi was being built during the time, and it was finished in 1872. It features a lovely wooden carved iconostasis. The stones for the church’s construction were reportedly brought from Malta by Swedish sailors, while the locals transported them in sacks from the coast.

Photos