Despite the lack of documentation, the name most likely comes from an old landowner named “Romanos,” as was the custom then. In 1918 however, the settlement was renamed Romanos and became a community. It was renamed Romanon in 1940, but it is once again Romanou. The current inhabitants settled there around 200 years ago to defend themselves from pirates, according to oral recollections as they used to live near the Moudros Bay, on the Voukranos Hill area and were exposed to the threat of raids.

During the nineteenth century, the community grew swiftly, and in 1830 the residents constructed the magnificent church of the Nativity of Christ, thanks to a generous contribution from a wealthy compatriot.

The Church of Saints Constantine and Helen, the underground wine barrels, the stone school erected in 1936, the carved stone sculpture in honour of fallen soldiers, and the church of Agia Fotida in Komi (Komi is now a desert) located northeast of the village of Romanos, are well worth seeing. There was a temple to Heracles in Komi.